Get the Skills to Become a Medical Assistant
36-Week* Medical Assisting Training Program in
Palm Desert California
Are you interested in a healthcare career? Medical Assistants play a critical role in the healthcare field, performing important clinical and administrative tasks in support of doctors, physicians, and nurses.
The Medical Assisting program at the Milan Institute in Palm Desert provides the technical and practical skills training you need to enter the healthcare field as a Medical Assistant. Gain the skills needed to enter this career path in as few as 36 weeks*!
The best way to see if Milan Institute in Palm Desert is the right fit for you is to come and tour the school. You can tour our facilities and meet with students and instructors. Schedule a tour now or Get more info.
Medical Assisting Training at the Milan Institute in Palm Desert
The Medical Assisting program at the Milan Institute in Palm Desert prepares students to function competently in an entry-level Medical Assistant position in various medical settings. Medical Assistants help doctors examine and treat patients, perform routine tasks, and keep the medical office running smoothly. Students learn how to take a patient’s vital signs and information, take medical histories, prepare patients for examinations, and assist during the appointment. Additionally students learn to take blood, give injections, take EKGs, remove sutures, collect and prepare laboratory specimens, instruct patients on special diets and medications, and sterilize medical instruments.
The Medical Assisting program includes an externship in an off-site medical facility so students gain on-the-job skills training in a real-world environment.
In the Medical Assisting program, students learn:
- Medical Office Communications – learn basic administrative skills including how to identify medical, legal and ethical boundaries, to demonstrate proper telephone techniques, to schedule and manage appointments, and to perform the functions of medical office record keeping. Students also practice keyboarding to improve speed and accuracy.
- Insurance Coding – learn how to process insurance forms, to use insurance coding, and to perform bookkeeping skills. Students also learn basic medical insurance coding.
- Pharmacology/Nutrition – an introduction to administering medications to a patient in a medical practice setting. Classes and uses of injections, oral medications and pharmacology are covered.
- Anatomy/Physiology – learn to identify the body systems and their structures and functions, as well as common diseases and treatments for the related body systems.
- Medical Office Emergency Procedures – learn how to assess an emergency situation and act in an emergency. Also includes instruction on how to prepare and maintain examination and treatment areas and assist with patient examination procedures and treatments.
- Electrocardiography/Hematology – learn basic blood testing procedures and their purposes, as well as how to demonstrate aseptic techniques and universal precautions; take vital signs and blood pressures; and perform invasive procedures. Also includes EKG instruction and how to perform a routine 12- lead EKG.
- Microbiology/Patient Preparation – learn how to assist in minor in-office surgeries, how to position patients for exams and how to perform injections, authropometric measurements, and vital sign measurement. Students also learn methods of infection control, universal precautions, sterilization techniques, and how to demonstrate aseptic techniques.
Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared for entry-level positions as Medical Assistants in a variety of settings including, but not limited to, medical offices, hospitals and medical clinics.
Is a Medical Career Right for You? Take the Milan Institute "Medical Career Training Readiness Quiz"
This fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now.
I decided I wanted to do something in the medical field but also something that would help me obtain an entry level position in the medical field. I loved my experience at Milan Institute. I loved the instructors, staff and the students. There were many times I really wanted to take a leave of absence because of the stress but, with the help of my instructor and fellow classmates I decided to not take a leave of absence and just get through it and I’m glad I did. My current job was actually my extern site and I’m glad I was hired on as a Medical Assistant. My only advice is even if you’re struggling to get things done or struggling with anything related to the program or your personal life it’s OK to talk about it to your instructor.
Real-World Experience – Professional Clinical Externship
Medical Assisting is a hands-on job. There’s no better way to learn than by working side-by-side with doctors and other medical professionals in a real healthcare setting.
As a student in this program, you will complete an externship in an off-site medical facility. Externships are an excellent way to get a feel for your new career, gain real-world job experience and make valuable industry contacts before you graduate.
As a graduate of Medical Assistant school, you may find employment in:
- Physicians’ Offices
- Family Practices
- And more!
Learn more about Medical Assisting training at Milan Institute and see if our program is the right fit for you.
Get Medical Assisting Career Training You Feel Good About
Are you ready to begin your career as a Medical Assistant? With the Milan Institute in Palm Desert, you can train to become a Medical Assistant in as few as 36 weeks*! Gain the technical skills and knowledge you need to enter this growing career path.
Our admissions representatives will be happy to answer questions and schedule a tour of our classrooms where you can learn more about the path to your new career.
Call 1-888-207-9460 today!
The Medical Assisting program is offered at these campuses:
- Amarillo, Texas
- Clovis, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Merced, California
- Palm Desert, California
- Reno-Sparks, Nevada
- Visalia, California
*Program length varies by state; please contact Admissions for more information.
Is The Medical Assisting Program Right For You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about the Medical Assisting program and exploring whether Milan Institute is right for you, click get info on this page to receive more information.
For immediate questions, call 1-888-207-9460
Council on Occupational Education